Articles & Notes — November 9, 2012 at 4:25 pm

New Mortal Kombat film confirmed, what to expect?

Warner Brothers has recently revealed that the new “Mortal Kombat” movie has already begun moving forward, with Kevin Tancharoen – the creator of “Mortal Kombat: Legacy” web series.

The web series debuted on YouTube in April of 2011, and quickly sparkled huge interest in the seemigly forgotten Mortal Kombat.

The original Mortal Kombat film appeared in 1995 and was directed by Paul W. S. Anderson. This in turn spawned a sequel, Mortal Kombat: Annihilation in 1997, which performed poorly at the box office in comparison to its predecessor.

As a result a planned third film, Mortal Kombat: Devastation, was shelved indefinitely until Warner Bros. picked up the rights to Midway’s assets in 2009 following the game studio going bankrupt.

According to IGN, the Warner Bros executive Lance Sloan has confirmed that the new MK film is being developed, and he also revealed a possible budget for the film.

Sloan said that the new MK film is being prepared with Kevin Tancharoen, and the budget for the feature at this time is estimated at some $40-50 million.

Kevin Tancharoen has already reached his goal – as the big studio has agreed to let him shoot another MK movie. Aside from Tancharoen there has not really been anyone that interested in Mortal Kombat revival, and thus Tancharoen seemed like a reasonable choice.

In 2010, Tancharoen gained the attention of the studio and the MK fanbase with his eight-minute long “Mortal Kombat” film, called “Mortal Kombat: Rebirth”.

Tancharoen managed to involve such martial arts stars as Michael Jai White (Jax), Matt Mulins, and Lateef Crowder (Baraka). Tancharoen’s film’s story took a slightly different direction from the original coin-operated video game’s story, as it had a much darker tone to it.

As it turned out, 8 minutes were enough to get the needed attention. Warner Premiere later ordered a 10-episode web series based on the short titled “Mortal Kombat: Legacy.” In September of last year, New Line Cinema and Warner Bros. announced that Kevin Tancharoen would direct a new big-screen adaptation of Mortal Kombat from a screenplay written by Oren Uziel, who wrote “Mortal Kombat: Rebirth.”

Tancharoen later spoke to ComingSoon, where he said he’s very excited that New Line and Warner Bros. saw the potential, as he has been a “gigantic fan” of MK ever since he was a kid.

Nothing is certain at this point, since the budget might be changed in the near future, considering that Mortal Kombat is quite a known brand. One thing is for certain – Tancharoen is driven by passion towards MK, so he will definitely do his best, as money doesn’t seem to be the major factor here.

Thus far it easy to speculate about the possible cast of the upcoming film. It can be assumed that some of the actors that appeared in “Mortal Kombat: Legacy” web series would be offered to reprise their roles. Some of them (Michael Jai White, Matt Mullins, Darren Shahlavi) would definitely fit into the overall MK picture.

Other lesser known martial arts stars, such as Mike Moeller, Marko Zaror or Silvio Simac could be considered for parts in the film as well. After all – Mortal Kombat is about a fighting tournament of good versus evil, and therefore it actually needs actors, who can fight.

Oh, and having cameos from Ed Boon and John Tobias also would have been neat.


Below is our latest poll. Please leave your vote!

Arnold Schwarzenegger isn't going to be around forever...what would you want him to do?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...


Never miss an article again!

Subscribe, and receive free updates directly in your Inbox. Enter your email address:



comments powered by Disqus

Leave a Reply

— required *

— required *


eight − 8 =